Thursday, April 22, 2010

Frugality

This is what I was making homemade tortillas. I am trying to save money and not go to the store. I feel like the more I go to the store the more I spend. I am curious as to how all of my friends save money. Here are some ways that I feel I save.

Other ways I feel I save money on is by making bread at home. I still by store bought bread because we eat a lot of bread. I can't keep up especially with the boys taking a lunch to school everyday.

Just recently I have been making homemade laundry soap. I haven't really noticed a difference in the cleanliness of our clothes. I never bought expensive stuff anyways. It is really easy to make and it doesn't have a smell to it just more of clean smell(if that makes sense). So if the load of clothes is really bad I will through in a little store bought soap in to help with that. Thanks to Roccy for the class she taught us a while back, I hang out my laundry on a line (not all the time), but more in the summer. It takes less time to dry out on the line in summer then in the dryer. Love our AZ summers.

I have also been making my own cleaners. I really like the vinegar and water one. I leaves a shine on the counters.

I have been doing bountiful baskets for fruits and veggies. I feel like that helps us eat healthier and saves money too. 

We almost always eat a home. I don't remember the last time we ate out as a family. It is way too expensive to feed us all at a restaurant or even fast food. Instead of getting a pizza I usually just make it. It is really not that hard and you can make it the way you like it.

I am always on the lookout for new ways to save. What are you doing that works? I am curious.

3 comments:

mad white woman said...

Let's start a frugal club. I went the Ranch Market and Fry's earlier this week and at Fry's I realized why I try to avoid grocery stores: I spend way too much money on things we don't need! Okay, my total was only like $30, but still. If I stick to just the Ranch Market, Costco and Sprouts (for chicken breasts) I save a lot. I have a whole list of ways we save money... so keep sharing yours so I can add to it. :)

Deb said...

I'm terrible at saving money. Just terrible. One way I do save money is by sending Ian to do the grocery shopping or else I never stick to the list. He's really good at sticking to the list and buying nothing else.

So what all do you put in your laundry soap? I don't think I can do that one. We have a High Efficiency washer and dryer now and I think you are only suppose to use high efficiency soap for those. But I'm still curious what is in your soap.

And I'm warming up to using vinegar as a cleaner. I use to hate the smell, but I've been washing my floors with it lately and have been really pleased, and the yucky vinegar smell doesn't stay around too long. Either that or I'm just getting use to it. Once my bathroom cleaner runs out, I'm going to start using it to clean the counters and the bathrooms as well. Do you use it full strength for that? Or do you dilute it a bit? I know vinegar kills germs and what not, but for some reason in my head I always think "how is that possible? We eat it?"

I AM JOE PESCI said...

It sounds like you're doing a ton to save money Marie! I find that I go in cycles of doing really well with being frugal and then periods when I just don't have the energy.

One thing I'm going to work on is whittling down our busy schedule. I feel like we're always going somewhere - and spending money on gas, and then I feel so frazzled from running around that I can't put together a meal so we eat out or eat some premade meal that's way too expensive.